Monday, November 18, 2013

Tips for Shopping Plus Size Bridal

Don't let your weight loss plans interfere with ordering your dress.   A lot of brides (I didn't LOL) plan to diet for their big day and can put off ordering a dress because of anticipating being smaller.  I can only detect an issue if you are going from a size 28 to a size 0.  Plus sizes tend to take longer to drop sizes as opposed to straight size.  A straight size girl may only need to drop 10 pounds to drop a size, it takes me about 30 pounds.  I've dropped 70 pounds before and only went down 3-4 sizes.  That's would still be fine for alteration.  This leads me to my next tip.


It is always better to order too big than too small.  Don't order for an anticipated size.  Order the size that you are today.  If you can get smaller going smaller is an easier and less expensive alteration.  Taking the dress out can cost more and could still end up in an ill-fitting dress.  I've actually seen someone make this mistake.  They ordered their "wish size,"  ended up gaining weight and on their wedding day... Let's just say I felt so bad for her. Nobody wants to have the memory (and photos) of their dress fitting too small.  

You need to order your dress about 10 - 12 months in advance.  This allows time for the be made and shipped.  Take into account that you may have an international designer ,as I did. I ordered 9 months before my big day and my dress had it's final alteration 2 weeks before my wedding.  That was cutting it close.     

Don't settle.  I can't think of one day in a women's life where she deserves to get what she wants.  This will probably be the most expensive dress you will ever buy.  Don't just take something, because you don't think you'll find anything else.  

Breathe.  This is easy to say after the fact, but I was so worried about not finding the "perfect" dress.  It's true what they say, you will know when it is the dress.

Bring your shapewear.  You want to be able to see how you would look on the big day.  Bring you strapless bra, long line bra, and girdle.  Have them on and ready to go, so you get the full effect.  

Arm people be prepared.  Some of you ladies will not be wanting to show your arms on your wedding day.  That's fine, but the selection of plus size bridal gowns with sleeves is slim.  There are some, but there will be only be a few to choose from.   You may do better online than in the store.  You could opt for an add-on jacket or have sleeves built onto the dress.  Yes they can do that, but it will cost you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment